307 Breaknck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Show
Clear All

• 307 Breaknck

Finally, I start a little story about my new car.

After 7 years of owning my lovely white 1993 405 T16, I've had to make a big change and sell it to fund something
    more reliable, newer and with more boot space for my bicycles. The T16 went to the UK and I was on a lookout
    for a 307, firstly an SW, but then i decided to get an ordinary Estate. I'd gone off of an idea of getting a diesel
    powered car and wanted a relaxed drive, so I narrowed my choice to a 2.0 16v with Automatic transmission
    and full optional equipment.

The trouble was, when I entered that info in mobile.de, I found only six cars with those properties, out of more than
    1500 307 Estates for sale :wacko:, so when I got a call from someone local who offered me exactly what I'd been after,
    freshly imported from SUI and registered (and for a very good price), I've had to take it, eventhough it was the only
    "colour" that I didn't want to get, doh.

So there you go, a nice, 5-year old at the time of purchase (a year and a half ago) 307, which is above my average
    owned car age by far :lol:.

The same colour scheme as the T16, but 10 years, 85 bhp and 2 driven wheels less ;). It's packed with equipment,
    starting with a sequental automatic (4-speed) gearbox, ABS, ESP, GPS, GSM, MP3, board computer, automatic aircon,
    all 4 automatic windows, electric folding mirrors etc etc, just lacking half-leather seats I've had in all my cars so far :).

After a mandatory checkup, oil and filter change and tracing the horrible knocking sound to one of the ARB bushes,
    the car was ready for the road and I was ready to start customising it accoring to my vision of what a 307 Estate was
    supposed to look like to begin with :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck

To be continued...
    205 Mi32 Project - 205Mi32.com

Hi there, Cybernck;

Nice to see you've returned; keep us posted. How's the 205 Mi32 doing these days?
    Scherven brengen gelul.

Comment

Mi32? Is this the guy with the twin-engined 205? Me Like A Lot!

Keep it coming m8!
      '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 16v XS & '15 Peugeot 308SW 1.6BlueHDI BluelineExecutivePack.

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to update that topic soon too :).

Comment

Really nice 307. It still looks good- much better than its successor!
          Well Brian... I'm opening a boutique!

Comment

Welcome back, Cybernick. Loyal to the Lion ! Nice to see you got a fully equipped steel roof version. In Holland you couldn't get much options on the Break versions, nor the bigger engines.

Do keep us posted on that 400horse dragster !

Comment

Yeah, still wondering about updates on that twin-engined 205.
              Please keep us informed!!!

Any updates on the 307 are welcome too of course :)
              * Voor emotionele problemen is er geen rationele oplossing.
              * Standaarden zijn net tandenborstels: iedereen heeft er eentje en niemand wil die van een ander gebruiken.

Comment

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Joshua Bekijk bericht
                Welcome back, Cybernick. Loyal to the Lion ! Nice to see you got a fully equipped steel roof version. In Holland you couldn't get much options on the Break versions, nor the bigger engines.
                What bigger engines have been available elsewhere for the 307?
                * Standaarden zijn net tandenborstels: iedereen heeft er eentje en niemand wil die van een ander gebruiken.

Comment

Is dit trouwens het Engelse gedeelte van ons forum?
                  Wist niet eens dat we dat hadden, gaaf hoor :-)

OK, Welcome Back Cybernick.
                  2 x ouwe premium meuk
                  BMW E90 320D Dynamic Exe + chippie
                  Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0DI4 Exclusive

Comment

@ Slibbe: after the year of launch, they limited the bigger engines (i.e. 2.0liter petrol 135hp and 2.0HDi 110hp) to the SW-versions and options like leather or colour-nav were no longer available on the Break.

Comment

Interresting change, from a 405 T16 to a much more average 307 :) But, you'll enjoy the 2.0 16v. They'll keep on going. Yours did around 150k now? It'll do another 150k without any problems :)
                      Oliestoken voor het goede doel

Comment

About a year ago i bought the same type of 307 for my father, a my2003 with only 30kkm on the odometer. Very nice car to drive.

There is however one thing you may want to know, the auto transmission of these 307 2.0L 16V has a week point: eratic up/downshifting. Peugeot developed a fix for this problem and my fathers car already has it. I made sure of that.

Other then that: great car.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :).

205 Mi32 story updates coming soon ;).

The 405 T16 had to go, as it spent half of the 7 years I owned it, standing broken...

Comment

I suspect someone from Peugeot management comes along when the car design is finished
                            and orders the engineers to raise the car by 10 cm's or something, as the height of new cars
                            in general, especially Peugeots, looks really artificial, compared to the car shape. At least from
                            my designer's point of view.

And not just that but the body roll and suspension travel made for a boat-like driving "pleasure".
                            Maybe it's down to me, as I'm used to sporty cars (205 GTI and 405 T16) but driving the 307
                            made me sick, quite literally, and I was scared to take corners. Luckily, the cure for the sickness
                            and the design error came from the UK in a form of a Jamex coilover kit:

Mounting it was a straight-forward job for Brkic Servis guys and here's the result:

This has completely transformed the way the car handles - excessive body roll pretty much
                            eliminated, sharper turn-in, faster shock absorbing etc - and was definitely worth the money,
                            but it has also shown that the "balloon" tyres will have to be replaced with something that will
                            work better in conjunction with the coilovers.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck

And the story continues...

Comment

After I fitted the coilovers - the wheels and tyres were next on the list. I tried out my 307 CC
                              Challenger wheels (6.5x17" ET31) that I bought a few years ago with the intention of fitting
                              them on my "future" 307 :). I couldn't get hold of the 205/50/17 tyres (OE size), so I tried them
                              on with 205/45/17, but they were skinny for the 307's arches thus I decided to take them off.

My 205 GTI needed a new battery, so I nicked it from the 307, which I replaced with a new
                              Varta Silver Dynamic 63Ah battery. That was a perfect timing as I was just about to start
                              fitting some audio equipment - a mixture of what I've already had and what I was able to
                              get in exchange for some work :). The original 307's 6-speaker audio system is horrible,
                              much worse than some other manufacturers' I'd say - and with an equally crappy preparation
                              for a better system (front woofers mounted on a rattly door card and with next to no volume
                              to work from).

For the front speakers I got Ground Zero Titanium mk2 16.5 cm / 6.5" component speakers,
                              while for the rears I got 13 cm / 5" coaxials, from the same GZ range. The amplifier for the
                              front speakers (and a fututre sub-woofer) is an old but nice Magnat Rave 440, while the
                              headunit is an old trusty Kenwood cassette player with a 10 CD changer - this is my third
                              car I've installed it in :).

The 307 is now a much nicer place to be in :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=3

Next update soon...

Comment

Als Ahmed voortaan in het Turks gaat posten, gaan jullie dan ook in het Turks reageren?

Comment

Engels lijkt me in Nederland een iets meer gangbare taal dan Turks.

imo is Engels geen probleem.
                                  Forza!

Comment

Ha, die 288GTO;

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door 288GTO Bekijk bericht
                                    Als Ahmed voortaan in het Turks gaat posten, gaan jullie dan ook in het Turks reageren?
                                    De kans dat Ahmed iets in het Egyptisch post is volgens mij groter....
                                    Scherven brengen gelul.

Comment

Post 'ns wat in het Turks zou ik zeggen.

Comment

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Hansv Bekijk bericht
                                        De kans dat Ahmed iets in het Egyptisch post is volgens mij groter....
                                        Hooeewwaaah...ROFL @ Hansv :-)
                                        2 x ouwe premium meuk
                                        BMW E90 320D Dynamic Exe + chippie
                                        Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0DI4 Exclusive

Comment

Ja, dat was echt grappig!

Comment

Die van Lennart was trouwens ook erg leuk.

Comment

Welcome on the English Gummen Forum, 288GTO :)

Comment

to get back on topic. I like the challenger wheels, I think there the best looking stock Peugeot rims.

Do you have some pics of the 205?
                                                Forza!

Comment

We hier aan alles behalve Fries !

Comment

While searching high and low for a subwoofer to suit my taste, I tried out several different
                                                    10" and 12" subwoofers but none of them was what I'd been looking for. What they've all
                                                    had it common was a vented (bassreflex) enclosure. I figured out I need a sealed box
                                                    setup and then this puppy came along:

Focal 33A 13-inch subwoofer in a compact sealed box. It worked like a dream and I've always
                                                    had a dream of having Focal speakers, so that was it! I also got a Kenwood 10 CD MP3 changer
                                                    and a 2-changer switcher with an additional AUX in. One of the small but important things I had
                                                    done was getting rid of the horrible licence plate holders and rivetting the plates on the car.

And then the BIG news, in every way - I got my new wheels! They are a replica of one of
                                                    my favourite wheels of all time - Arospeed RSGT. I went for graphite grey with polished rim
                                                    in 7.5x18" ET15 and with 225/40/18 tyres - they look great both off and on the car and fill
                                                    the arches perfectly.

Together with the coilovers, the car now feels and handles exactly as I wanted - very tight.
                                                    I later lowered the front of the car by further 10-15 mm to get a near-perfect stance.
                                                    And like the coilovers, the wheels came from the UK as well :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=4

Next update soon!

Comment

18 inches?? Good god... Have to say that it doesn't actually looks that bad though.. :)
                                                      Oliestoken voor het goede doel

Comment

I decided to keep going with the Focal theme throughout the car, so I purchased nearly new
                                                        Focal 130CA (5"/13cm coaxials) speakers for the rear doors. Not that I will hear them much
                                                        but rear passengers may do.

Entry-level Focals versus entry-level Ground Zeros. Focals are more sensitive, go a touch deeper
                                                        have clearer mid-range and have a much more detailed tweeter. Focals also have bigger magnet,
                                                        wider and softer rubber suspension and swivel tweeter.

I also purchased and retrofitted a cruise control stalk, as I hate keeping my foot steady for hours
                                                        on highways. It's almost a plug & play affair, at least on my car, with throttle-by-wire and automatic
                                                        gearbox, only actions required are a small mod to a lower steering column cover and setup in BSI.

I've shown a step-by-step installation guide in the gallery, so take a look, if you're interested.

And finally, you can check the new ride height (after recent lowering) and see some interesting photos too:

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=5

Comment

Focal 165 K2P component speaker set - pretty expensive, but once I heard them in action,
                                                          I simply couldn't listen to my Ground Zeros anymore and had to get them. I found a brand new
                                                          set in the UK. Very lucky find, as they're not in production anymore and used sets fetch high prices.

Midrange speaker with kevlar membrane, very detailed tweeters and adjustable crossovers.
                                                          Can't believe I actually have them now, as I've been dreaming about their predecessors (165K),
                                                          many years ago! :D

I managed to fit them onto the door cards, only just. They sound brilliant but will require proper
                                                          installation to make most out of them. I won't waste words trying to describe the difference
                                                          between them and my previous speakers.

Next, I fitted some frameless "aero" wiper blades but the other big news in this update is
                                                          a set of TSW Pace 7x18" ET18 wheels, that I got in exchange for my 17" Challengers:

They suit the car nicely and completely change the appearance, but they're up for sale,
                                                          as I prefer my RS-GTs :).

And finally, a photo of modified vs standard:

Modified wins ;).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=6

Comment

I decided to go full-on with the audio system, so I got a matching subwoofer for my
                                                            front speakers - Focal 33KX - 13-inch subwoofer in a custom sealed enclosure.
                                                            Kevlar membrane, dual voice coil, multiple magnets and the enclosure with more
                                                            volume than my last one - sounds amazing! :)

Cheap chinese rear parking sensors off eBay - a bit "paranoid" (i.e. too sensitive) but
                                                            should do their job. After marking the sensor locations, the bumper was drilled using
                                                            the supplied drill-bit.

A couple of holes had to be cut in the steel bar behind the bumper, for the inner pair of
                                                            parking sensors to sit in. Peugeot had already made a couple of holes for this reason,
                                                            but unfortunately their sensor arrangement was different to mine.

Then I turned my attention to removing the front bumper - not to install parking sensors,
                                                            but to change the headlights (not too clever a design)! I wanted black headlights but decided
                                                            against spraying my own set, so I got a brand new pair of black aftermarket headlights.
                                                            I chose the rare version with OE-style reflectors, instead of small HID-style lenses
                                                            (that everybody seems to go for). They've got "angel eyes" or "halo rings" - perhaps
                                                            a bit tacky, but they don't look bad and they're barely visible in daylight anyway.

Then I "bit the bullet" and finally made up my mind about spraying the exterior trim in white,
                                                            so I removed all of the black trim. Temporarily swapped the TSWs for my father's 406 Coupe
                                                            Hoggars (7x16" ET12 - nice and wide) :). Work in progress, but you can get an idea of what
                                                            it will look like when finished.

The conclusion of this phase of mods will be revealed soon :).

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=7

Comment

In the meantime, I sold the original 16" Ariane wheels I got with the car and bought
                                                              another set of 17" Challengers, this time with the adequate 205/50/17 tyres.

And then I got busy again - rust on the rear steel bar eliminated, tailgate debadged,
                                                              all the bits picked up from the body shop and finally, everything put back on the car,
                                                              including parking sensors and wiring.

The new "face". The car looks rejuvenated, doesn't it? I now can't believe that I've ever
                                                              doubted if spraying the trim is the way to go! Looking really nice sunbathing and with
                                                              the Challengers on (obviously the nicest wheel design for 307s). Really fresh and modern
                                                              apperance, while still not looking modified:

And then some more photos, with RS-GTs back on again. The wheels and headlights are
                                                              in contrast with the body. It definitely requires a bit of getting-used-to, after having the
                                                              Challengers on for some time. Shame it was a dull day too.

The appeareance has definitely changed from non-modified to subtly-modified, especially
                                                              with a debadged/clean tailgate. I've intentionally left the Pug lion on. I need to do something
                                                              about that antenna though, it makes it look like a radio-controlled car :).

And now... the conclusion - I'm really glad I've gone through with spraying the trim and
                                                              definitely won't be looking back! I'm curious to hear your opinion on this? :)

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/307breaknck?page=8

Comment

Well, looks good to me. But motortuning, that what we want to really hear :)

Comment

Working...
                                                                X